- 1tspn active yeast
- 300mls soy milk
- 500gms white spelt flour
- 1tspn salt
- 1tspn sugar
- 1tspn xanthan gum
- 50mls olive oil
- optional:egg white
- optional: poppy seeds
1. Warm the milk slightly (20secs in a microwave), dissolve sugar in the milk then sprinkle the yeast onto the surface and whisk until dissolved. Cover and leave for about 15mins until frothy.
2. Combine the flours, salt and xanthan gum and mix in.the dissolved yeast mixture. Mix into a raggedy dough.
3. Work in the olive oil and knead for 10 mins.
4. Place in a bowl at least twice the dough’s volume, cover with cling film and prove in a warm place until doubled in size (about an hour).
5. Turn the proven dough onto a floured surface and knead for 15 minutes.
5. Optional:Cut the dough into 3 and roll into 30cm lengths. Pinch the three lengths together and plait (left over middle, right over middle and so on).
5. Optional:Or… shape into a ball and cut a 2cm deep cross in the top.
7. Grease a baking tray/loaf tin and place the dough the dough.
8. If using, brush with the egg white and sprinkle poppy seeds on top.
9. Leave in a warm place for at least about half an hour.
10. Bake in an a preheated 180°C.
11. Bake for 30/35mins then remove from the oven and leave to cool. Oven temperatures vary, practice makes perfect, if the bread result is a bit doughy, bake for a bit longer. If too dark and still doughy, lower the temperature by 10°C and add 5 mins baking time.
FODMAPS: Spelt flour, though not gluten-free, is low in the fructans that causes IBS in many sufferers.
Adapted from Doves Farm Organic flour packaging