- 1tspn active yeast
- 1tspn sugar
- 1tspn xanthan gum
- 300mls warm water
- 250gms wholemeal spelt flour
- 250gms white spelt flour
- 10gms fine sea salt
1. Mix 150mls cold water with a further 150mls (just) boiled water.
2. Dissolve sugar in the water and sprinkle the yeast onto the surface and whisk until dissolved.
3. Combine the flours, salt and xanthan gum and mix in.the dissolved yeast mixture. Mix into a raggedy dough
4. Knead vigorously for 15 minutes to make a stretchy dough, place in a bowl at least twice the dough’s volume, cover with cling film and prove in a warm place until doubled in size for up to an hour.
5. Grease a large (2lb) loaf tin; Shape the proven dough into a firm ball, then roll on a floured work surface to the same length as the tin. Place in the tin and leave in a warm place for at least another hour until double in size again.
6. Sprinkle the dough with spelt flour and salt, spray the inside of the oven with water, then place into an oven preheated to 230°C.
7. Bake for 30mins then remove from the oven and leave to cool. Oven temperatures vary, practice makes perfect, if the bread result is a bit doughy, bake for a bit longer. If too dark and still doughy, lower the temperature by 10°C and add 5 mins baking time.
FODMAPS:All fodmaps friendly. Spelt flour contains some gluten but this works well for Delia
Adapted from The Fabulous Baker Brothers: Glorious British Grub. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fabulous-Baker-Brothers-Glorious/dp/0755364619